Zucchini is at its best season now in Norway and I love this vegetable very much. It is so lovery to see firm and well shaped zucchinis with shiny glossy skin on them! Zucchini has many names, it is also called as courgette or squash, a ripe type is called marrow in UK. Courgette is the french name for zucchini and in Norway I think it is called squash and zucchini. How is it called in your country?
While it is in its best season, why not make a loaf of delicious and healthy zucchini bread with nuts? This recipe I am writing today is the one I have had for a long long time and it is a proven and easy recipe for anyone, so I hope you will enjoy this healthy recipe. Although I say it is easy, I think the secret to make a successful zucchini bread lies in the accurate measuring and the mixing method. All the dry ingredients should be mixed first while the fat ingredient and the wet ingredients are mixed together in a different bowl, and finally you can pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of the wet ingredients. It may sound so basic and so little important, I think this mixing method has so much to do with the successful outcome. However, please notice sugar is mixed in the wet ingredients, I think sugar’s crystalized particle is always good to mix with fat (butter for example) and water (egg or milk etc.) well together.
for 1 baking pan of 2L in volume,
22cm x 13cm x 8cm
– the dry ingredients –
Baking powder 2 tea spoons
Salt 1/2 tea spoon
– the wet ingredients –
Brown sugar 3 table spoons
Lemon juice 3 table spoons
Vegetable oil 40g
Zucchini, shredded 1 cup
Walnuts, chopped 1/2 cup
Spray oil for the pan
1. Preheat your oven at 160℃. Roast the walnuts for 5 minutes at 160℃. Cool walnuts.
2. After the walnuts are roasted, increase the temperature and preheat your oven at 180℃.
3. Using a cutter, shred zucchini finely.
4. Grease the baking pan with cooking spray oil.
5. Mix the dry ingreidients. In a mixing bowl, shift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
6. Take the brown sugar on a plate and mix with a spoon to break any lump.
7. Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix eggs and brown sugar togehter first, add lemon juice, mix well. Add 2/3 of oil and mix. Add shredded zucchini and the remaining 1/3 oil. Mix well. Add chopped nuts.
8. Shift and add the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients. Stir and blend, do not mix too much, just fold it gently.
9. Pour the batter in the prepared baking pan and bake it in the oven for 45-55 minutes. My oven bake this amount fine in 45 minutes but please adjust the baking time accordingly.
10. Take it out of the oven and place it to cool for 15 minutes. Slice and serve with something to drink.