I wrote a recipe for Roquefort and Leek Quiche before, but here is a new one, it is a smaller one using a smaller plate of 18cm in diameter. Today is Father’s Day here in Norway, and I baked a Quiche for my husband. We are just 2 of us and I just did not feel like baking a big Quiche.
* Pate Brisee *
Unsalted butter 70g
Egg yolk 1
* Filling part *
Yellow onion 1
Turkey ham 2 large slices
Garlic butter 10g
* Appaleil *
Salt and Pepper
1. Begin making Pate Brisee (Pastry case). Today I used my food processor. Measure the flour into the food processor’s work bowl. Add salt. Cut the butter into cubes and add it. Pulse 2-3 times to see the butter is “spherifying” and try to coat the small balls of butter with the flour.
2. Add 1 egg yolk. Pulse a little bit. Add a little bit of ice water and pulse. Mix and try to bring the dough together. Add more water if necessary. You many not need any more if the pastry does not stick to the work bowl anymore. When the pastry becomes one big ball, flaten it and wrap it with a piece of plastic wrap and leave it in the refrigerator for 60 minutes.
3. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured working board/counter. Don’t forget to flour your rolling pin as well. I put my rolling pin in the fridge together with the dough. Roll it out to a round flat piece which is large enough to cover your pie plate. Today’s plate is 18cm in diameter.
3. Use your fingertips and gently press the pastry into the plate. I work on the bottom edges around first and then go to the sides. If you have excess pastry hanging over the top edge, transfer to where it is needed. Press against the sides and the top firmly as it shrinks when it is baked in the oven. Prick some holes on the bottom. Dust off excess flour, cover with a plastic wrap and put in the freezer for 20 minutes.
4. While the pastry is in the freezer, prepare the filling. Cut onion into thin slices. Rinse spinach.
5. Heat a frypan, add garlic butter and sautee the onion and spinach. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Cut the turkey ham into strips and add. Leave it to cool to room temperature. Preheat the oven 180℃.
6. Take out the pastry from the freezer. Place a piece of oven paper and put oven stones and bake it in the oven for 10 minutes. Take it out of the oven, remove the oven paper and the oven stones and return it into the hot oven again. Bake another 7 minutes.
7. When both the crust and the filling is cooled completely, spread the filling in the crust case and pour the egg mixture in and sprinkle cheese on top. Set the oven to 190℃ and bake it for 30 minutes.