Hello! I am sending my summer greeting to you from Oslo!! It is coming close to the end of July, it has been more than 1 month since I wrote my last blog post, I apologize for the absence. Although my writing has not been active, my kitchen has been very busy. If you are following my Facebook page, you know I am cooking or baking something everyday and making bento for my family this summer. My daughter is working for a french company in Norway this summer and she brings a bento to her office. My husband is also back to work this summer. As he leaves home very early in the morning, 3 bentos are ready to go at 06:30 AM. It is very early but I am enjoying making bento for them. It is so nice to see my family happy and to hear “thank you, mama” for what I make for them!
You may all live in different countries, how has your summer been? There are many food I associate with summer, BBQ is a typical one and I also like chilled soup in summer. Vichyssoise or Crème Vichyssoise Glacée in French, is very lovely when it is hot and we don’t really feel like eating a dinner. It is also very nutritious !
Vichyssoise sounds very elegant but the ingredients are rather ordinary. Potato, leek and onion are cooked together and puréed, you add good chicken stock and cream to it. It can be served both cold and warm, but I like it cold, Vichyssoise for me is a summer soup. Cold tomato soup is also good, I like fresh tomatoes with cumin seeds, rosemary, garlic and balsamic vinegar, it is aromatic, and you place a piece of chargrilled chicken on top of the soup. Squeeze lemon over it and serve cold. Ummm…. it is so delicious. I have to give you this recipe one day.
Today’s soup is chilled sweet corn soup. Like Vichyssoise, the ingredients of this soup are ordinary. In August I get fresh corns from the corn field outside Oslo and until then I make this soup with canned corn. It is very easy to make this soup, so I hope you will try this recipe. You will need a blender or an electric hand blender to make this soup. If you don’t have a hand blender, I really recommend to buy one, I use it very often and it is amazingly handy.
* Chilled Sweet Corn Soup * (serves 4)
Canned sweet corn and juice 420g (I used 3 small cans, 140g each)
Water 2.5 cups
Chicken consomme cube 1
Sugar 0.5 table spoon
Bay leaf 1
Cream 0.5 cup and some extra
salt and pepper
1. Peel and slice shallots thinly. Heat a pot and melt butter on medium high heat. Put the shallots in and fry until they are translucent.
2. Add corns and juice from the can. Stir well to coat the corns with the butter. Continue to cook over medium high heat until you can see corns are heated warm. Add water, a chicken consommé cube and a bay leaf and sugar. Put a lid on. Cook until it boils back, skim the foam, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook for 25 minutes.
3. When it is cooked for 25 minutes, take it off from the heat. Take the lid off to cool. Take out the bay leaf.
4. Use your blender or hand mixer to puree until very smooth, then strain through a fine sieve and set.
5. Add cream, season with salt and pepper. Chill it in your fridge at least for 5 hours.
6. I sprinkled paprika powder and some greens right before serving in a cup.
You can serve this warm, too. Then you may not need so much cream, you may like to replace it with milk instead. I think creamy soup needs more cream when it is chilled than warm.