It is Sunday and I suddenly wanted to bake a cake. I was not prepared but nevertheless I was in the mood of making something nice to complete our Sunday dinner with, a sweet something and yet an easy and quick dessert as it was already 4 o’clock in the afternoon.
There were 2 apples in my fridge. “2 apples….” I thought.
Next to the apples there were 4 carrots, too. “A carrot cake?” I wondered. A moist spicy dark carrot cake with smooth white cream cheese frosting is a nice dessert! I opened the section of my fridge in which all my cheeses are stored but there was no cream cheese to see…. “No cream cheese…” I signed. It is Sunday and the stores are closed. I am living in Norway.
Onions, potatoes, beans, carrots, apples. There are many staple foods that people recommend you to have on hand in your kitchen but I think apples are a quite helpful one. They can be eaten raw, you can cook with meat, you can make sauce, you can make a salad, you can bake a cake. And if you need an easy classic dessert without cream and eggs, here is a good one. Today I only had 2 apples and it had to be a small one in a small pie dish of 17.5 cm (7 inches) in diameter. It was just enough for 2 people. If you are going to bake a larger one, you can double the quantities and bake in a dish of 23 cm in diameter.
Apple Crumble with Crushed Pecan (for 2, 17.5 cm pie dish)
Large apples 2
Brown sugar 1 table spoons
Maple syrup 1 tea spoon
Lemon juice 2 tea spoons
Cinnamon 1 table spoon
Butter 50g (well chilled)
Pecan nuts, roasted and crushed 30g
Vanilla ice cream
Preheat oven 200℃
1. Apples are peeled, cut in quarters, cored and sliced into thin slices. Put them in a bowl and mix with sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and lemon juice.
2. Cut butter into small cubes. In another bowl, mix sugar and flour and add the butter. Use your fingertips to rub the flour and butter together until the mixture is coming like fine bread crumbs.
3. Arrange the apple slices in the dish and pour the crumbs over the apples. Sprinkle pecan nuts on top.
4. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
5. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Bon appetite!