Ragù bolognese, also known as meat sauce, is a staple dish for many people including my family and myself. It is my mother, she makes FANTASTIC meat sauce and she cooked Spaghetti meat sauce for us at home. I have been to many places in Italy and in the world and have tried Ragù bolognese here and there but still my mom’s sauce is the best. (Maybe she has some Italian blood?) I try my best but everytime I make this sauce, I feel I still have to improve. I keep asking my mother for her secret but it has not been disclosed yet over the phone, Skype and Facebook. Maybe one day I will find the secret directly from her when we make meat sauce together at her kitchen in Japan. Until then I will keep working on this recipe…..
There is a phrase about cooking meat sauce and it goes like this :
“If you don’t have red wine, don’t even think about making meat sauce!”
Red wine is very necessary in this recipe. When you have a party and have some leftover red wine, please remember you have this recipe.
Minced beef 800g
Olive oil 2 table spoons
Onion 1 middle sized onion
Carrot 1 middle sized carrot
Garlic 3 cloves, crushed
Red wine 150-200cc
Tomato in can 2 (400g each)
Flour 2 table spoons
Beef consomme cube 1.5 pieces
Bay leaves 2
salt, black pepper
Ketchup, Tonkatsu sauce 2 table spoons each
grated parmesan cheese
1. Put onion, carrot and celery in a food processor and mince.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and add garlic, fry over medium heat.
3. Add onion, carrot and celery and fry 7-8 minutes.
4. Bring the heat a little bit higher and add the minced beef. Do not put
1 huge chunk in the pan. Use your fingers and crumble. Fry 15 min.
Salt and pepper.
5. Pour in the wine and stir well to mix beef and vegetables with red wine.
6. Bring to a boil and let it cook for 10 minutes.
7. Add flour and mix well.
8. Add tomatoes, consomme cube, herbs. Mix well.
9. Let it simmer and cook for about 70 minutes over low-medium heat.
10. When 50 minutes have passed, add in 2 table spoons of ketchup and
1 table spoon of tonkatsu sauce. Please taste and adjust.
11, Cook your pasta and serve this sauce over it.