To celebrate my new bento box “Tiffin” originally from Thailand I made a bento of fried noodles with vegetables and beef. I added some red chili, but if you don’t like it hot you don’t need to use it. This goes very fast on high heat, easy to cook for a big group of people and also very flexible dish to cook for vegetarian friends and family members.
Ingredients (serves 4)
Dry asian type noodles (Chinese egg noodles are ok too) 250g
Beef (sliced) 100g
* I used sliced roast beef I bought in a supermarket
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1/2 medium sized red onion (minced)
2 green onion (chopped)
1 carrot (julienne)
1 cup bean sprout
5 shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
*You can use dry shiitake mushroom too
1 small red chili (minced)
2 fresh limes
Soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, white pepper, salt, sugar, chicken stock.
1. Boil plenty of water in a pan, add the noodles and cook 1 minute less than what the package says. Keep the heat medium high. Drain and wash in cold water and drain well again.
2. Mix 3.5 table spoon of soy sauce, 2 table spoon rice vinegar, 2 table spoon oyster sauce, 1 table spoon sugar, 3/4 cup chicken stock, a pinch of salt and white pepper together in a bowl.
3. Heat a frypan or Wok-pan on high heat, add sesame oil. Reduce the heat to medium-high heat.
Add garlic and red chili and stir fry. It smells so good here.
4. Add beef, carrot, shiitake mushroom, red onion and green onion. Keep on stir-frying! Season with salt and pepper very lightly.
5. Add noodles. Bring the heat to high heat. Try to combine all together well. If you are cooking a double portion of this recipe, use 2 frypans. Probably the meat and vegetables are still on the bottom of the pan. Move them fast so that they won’t get burnt. Add bean sprout, stir fry for 1 minute and then add the sauce.
6. Some noodles are so prone to absorb liquid and maybe the sauce is all gone into the noodles and it does not taste enough. Please add soy sauce or oyster sauce to adjust.
7. Serve hot on a plate. Cut the lime into half and put it on the side for you to squeeze right before you eat. Bon Appetit!