Kayaku Gohan is a very tasty rice dish with different ingredients in it. It is one of my favorite rice dishes and my mother is very good at making Kayaku Gohan. As many of you already know, “Gohan” means cooked rice. “Kayaku （加薬）” means adding good effects. The term comes from the Chinese Medicine, the combination of different herbal ingredients is the important formula for Chinese Medicine. Each ingredient supports and praises each
other’s effect, and yes it is true and adoptable in the cooking terminology. Just like a Chinese Medicine doctor creates his combination in his formula, you are also free to make your own combination for Kayaku Gohan. Today I am making a very standard one with chicken and vegetables, but using this recipe as your base, please try and find your own recipe.
Ingredients : serves 4
White short grain rice 3 cups
Carrot 40 g
Chicken 80 g
2 dry Shiitake mushrooms
Leek 35 g
Inari (Fried and cooked tofu) 1 or 2
*If you don’t have it, substitute with bacon or canned tuna.
Soy sauce, Mirin, salt, water.
1. Wash rice well and put the rice in the strainer to drain.
2. Soak the dry Shiitake mushrooms in 1/2 cup water to reconstitute.
(I always have some dry shiitake mushroom soaked in water in a tupperware
in my fridge. It is very useful.) It will reconstitute after 20-30 minutes.
3. Cut the chicken and the vegetables and Inari into fine pieces.
4. Mix 3 table spoons of soy sauce, 2 table spoons of Mirin, 2 table spoons of the water in which shiitake mushrooms were soaked in a cup. Pour the mixture over the chicken and the vegetables and leave it for 10 minutes.
5. Put the rice into a pan (I am using a rice cooker), add the chicken and vegetables on top. Add 3 cups of water, and you are ready to cook!
6. When the rice is cooked, mix the rice well with the other ingredients.
Serves warm in a rice bowl. It is also very good the next day as Onigiri. 🙂