An easy, tasteful gratin of an eggplant and meat sauce! If you are a vegetarian, please make this with only tomato sauce with onion and oregano. It is as tasty as the meat version! A salad and a fresh french baguette will be served together with this eggplant and meat sauce gratin! Bon Appetit!
1 large eggplant, cut into 6-7 slices
400g ground beef
50g minced onion
1 small clove of garlic, minced
1 canned tomato
Some fresh oregano or basil. (Dry ones are ok too)
50cc red wine
2 Table spoons of ketchup
Cheese for pizza
1. Heat your oven to 200 ℃
2. Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 6-7 slices. If your eggplant is a
small one, use 2 eggplants and slice each into 3-4. Eggplant shrinks
when it is cooked!
3. Put 2 fry pans on your stove. Heat and put some olive oil into both pans.
You fry eggplant slices in one pan and maybe you need more oil in this pan
than the other pan as the eggplant absorb the oil. Fry ground beef and onion
and garlic in the other pan.
4. When the meat is cooked and onion is tender, pour in the canned tomato.
Bring it to the boil and then reduce the heat. Keep the sauce simmer. Put the
lid and let it cook for 5 minutes. Salt, pepper, ketchup and herbs to season.
After 5 minutes, turn on the heat to high and bring it to the boil again for a
second. Pour in the red one and turn off the heat.
5. In a oven proof baking pan, lay 3 slices of eggplant, put meat sauce over
them, and then another layer of eggplant on top. You pour some more meat
sauce again and the layer of pizza cheese comes on very top.
6. Put it in the oven for 15 minutes.
7. Serve with some salad on the side. Bon Appetit!